Eau Canada: The Future of Canada’s Water
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
UBC Press is pleased to announce Eau Canada: The Future of Canada’s Water edited by Karen Bakker.
Royalties from the sale of Eau Canada will be donated to the Canadian branch of the Waterkeeper Alliance.
As the sustainability of our natural resources is increasingly questioned, Canadians remain stubbornly convinced of the unassailability of our water.
Mounting evidence suggests, however, that Canadian water is under threat.
Eau Canada assembles the country’s top water experts to discuss our most pressing water issues. Perspectives from a broad range of thinkers – geographers, environmental lawyers, former government officials, aquatic and political scientists, and economists – reflect the diversity of concerns in water management. Arguing that weak governance is at the heart of Canada’s water problems, this timely book identifies our key failings, explores debates over jurisdiction, transboundary waters, exports, and privatization, and maps out solutions for protecting our most important resource.
For more information about Eau Canada visit www.eaucanada.ca
Foreword / David Schindler Preface / Karen Bakker
- Introduction / Karen Bakker
- Great Wet North? Canada’s Myth of Water Abundance / John B. Sprague
- On Guard for Thee? Water (Ab)uses and Management in Canada / Dan Shrubsole and Dianne Draper
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind? Taking Canada’s Groundwater for Granted / Linda Nowlan
- Challenging the Status Quo: The Evolution of Water Governance in Canada / Rob de Loë and Reid Kreutzwiser
- Whose Water? Canadian Water Management and the Challenges of Jurisdictional Fragmentation / J. Owen Saunders and Michael M. Wenig
- Drawers of Water: Water Diversions in Canada and Beyond / Frédéric Lasserre
- Thirsty Neighbours: A Century of Canada-US Transboundary Water Governance / Ralph Pentland and Adèle Hurley
- Commons or Commodity? The Debate over Private Sector Involvement in Water Supply / Karen Bakker 10 Liquid Gold: Water Markets in Canada / Ted Horbulyk
- Trading our Common Heritage? The Debate over Water Rights Transfers in Canada / Randy Christensen and Anastasia Lintner
- A Tangled Web: Reworking Canada’s Water Laws / Paul Muldoon and Theresa McClenaghan
- Are the Prices Right? Balancing Efficiency, Equity, and Sustainability in Water Pricing / Steven Renzetti
- Moving Water Conservation to Centre Stage / Oliver Brandes, David Brooks, and Michael M’Gonigle
- The Land Is Dry: Indigenous Peoples, Water, and Environmental Justice / Ardith Walkem
- Half-Empty or Half-Full? Water Politics and the Canadian National Imaginary / Andrew Biro
- Rising Waves, Old Charts, Nervous Passengers: Navigating toward a New Water Ethic / Cushla Matthews, Robert B. Gibson, and Bruce Mitchell
- Conclusion: Governing Canada’s Waters Wisely / Karen Bakker
Print this page - Email this page
1 A Survey of Water Governance Legislation and Policies in the Provinces and Territories
2 Additional Resources and Reading
3 The Waterkeeper Alliance Contributors